11.30.2008

Top Ten Reasons Why it's Good to Have All Girls #2


#2: You Get to Poke Holes in Their Ears.
(For those of you who are new to the blog, you can catch up on the other Top Ten posts here)
I have wanted to pierce my girls' ears ever since Amy was about 6 months old. Joseph was dead set against it. Our compromise was this: At the age of 5, the girls should be able to understand pain and the responsibility associated with taking care of pierced ears and can then decide for themselves. So, for the past year, I have subconsciously convinced Amy that she wanted earrings. We just happened to be in a mall in Savannah on Black Friday (another story for another time) which was the day after Amy's 5th birthday. As we entered the mall, Claire's was right there. I asked Amy if she wanted to get her ears pierced and--surprisingly--she said yes. We went and picked out a pair of earrings, but after watching another girl get her ears pierced, Amy said: "That hurts. I don't want earrings." We walked out of the store, but she kept looking back. She changed her mind at the last minute, and decided that she did want earrings after all. She was very brave and only cried from the initial shock. She has been modeling her pretty blue-green earrings ever since.


12 comments:

small town Hood said...

31-14 CU on top...again. so how bout that Clemson pumpkin now!

Joe and Tammy said...

Readers will kindly disregard the previous comment.

Anonymous said...

Tammy! I lost your number! call me soon! miss ya! Anne :)

Marina said...

No pain no gain, right?

Angel said...

Aww! I can't wait to do Amber's. She has to wait until she's 7!! That was our compromise.

Cindy said...

My ears were pierced when I was 6 weeks old! It's a family tradition of sorts, so Michael didn't put up a fight at all. He actually really liked the idea of getting Madelyn's ears pierced, so we got her ears pierced when she was 14 months old. I love her little pictures with her earrings. Amy looks so pretty with her pierced ears! Congratulations Amy!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Funny... Jon and I have the same debate, only he wants to wait until Annabelle is 12! I don't know what our compromise will be yet.

Jared and Liz said...

Here it´s also a custom to pierce little girls ears when they´re born. I brought up the conversation with my wife, I don´t think I have to much sway over customs.

Also to Tammy, Liz said thanks for the comment on our blog... Scarlett says that she wants a Baby Sister, But I feel its about time to get another Hood boy in the family. Next week Liz will have her first Ultrasound, so will should know more then...

maria said...

AWW!! I love them Amy! You are adorable!
Tammy-Will denied me from getting Cadence's ears pierced and he just said maybe when she's 8. I guess we'll just wait and see! Love ya!
Maria

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I didn't realize so many debates existed over ear piercing age! I don't think we've ever even talked about it. I was 5 (it was for my birthday too, I think.) I think I'll just wait 'til mine ask...)

ginny said...

I haven't even thought about piercing Paige's ears(only because I never wear earings and my ears are pierced) and she hasn't asked. I guess I will wait until she wants them and then bring it up to Paul. Tell Amy they look beautiful!!!

Nan said...

Tell Amy she is the prettiest girl on the internet with pierced ears!

Lots of Love, Nana and Pops

Post a Comment